CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why I Hate MSG (from the Experience Project

F or many people, monosodium glutamate causes digestive distess. I am certainly one of those. If I ingest this vile substance, I will be sitting doubled over in agony on that certain throne for a couple of hours.

But worse, MSG also causes respiratory distress. For me it sometimes causes numbness of the lips and tongue. I used to be on asthma medication before I discovered that MSG could cause respiratory distress. When I started being careful to check for MSG on the food ingredient lists, I was able to stop taking asthma medication. However, MSG may be in the "spices" or "flavorings" in certain products. It is (astoundingly) considered a GRAS (generally regarded as safe) food additive.

Studies show that just two tablespoons of MSG can cause seizures in dogs . And since MSG was introduced as a common food additive in 1948, cases of autism and ADHD have risen sharply.

Certain foods contain naturally occurring trace amounts of MSG. Unless a person has a severe glutamine intolerance, these foods will never be a problem. Soy sauce is often vilified, but it would be difficult to use enough that it would become problematic except in the case of a severe intolerance. Foods like soy sauce are not the problem. Added MSG is the problem. MSG is a far from harmless food additive. In my humble opinion, it should be banished from use.

1 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

How can you tell if a dog is autistic?