CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Chubby Curmudgeon Strikes Back

Here was my forum response to this article. I liked what poured out of my slimy little brain, so I'll repeat it!
I am a 43 year old person who has, sadly, put on quite a bit of weight over the last 15 years, in part due to admittedly less than perfect eating habits, in part due to medication and health conditions such as hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome. However, I am no less healthy than my slimmer co-workers. I have only called in sick twice in the past three years. I had to go to the emergency room once a little over a year ago--for ear wax that was pressing against the ear drum and caused me vertigo and also a frightening blood pressure spike. Hypertension runs in my family, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with weight. My brother, who is now 39, had to start taking blood pressure medication in his early 30's, and he is not overweight. My blood pressure is on the borderline and I'm watching it. But I still don't have to take medication for it yet. The medications I take are lithium for bipolar disorder (which does cause weight gain) and thyroid medication. I am also fairly active, so the myth that all heavy people do is sit around eating is just that--a myth. Most of the big people I have known have been hard-working folk. Rather than engaging in prejudiced behavior against one segment of the population, let us try to find a solution that works for everybody.

0 comments: